Friday, February 18, 2011

Defining My Mission - Day One

Today I am beginning to look at why I do what I do (writing songs and singing them) from the perspective of - How can I be of aid (or help) someone else with my gift?  I am asking myself this question - "What good can come to others from the sharing of the words and music I write?"

For starters, I should let you know that I first began writing songs in the late '70's when I was a teenager just learning how to play guitar.  I always wanted to sing but felt significantly hindered with a voice that just seemed to get caught in my throat.  I haven't really experienced a whole lot of positive feedback from my efforts to share music.  None the less, I soldiered on for decades, writing, singing and walking around like a minstrel with my dreadnaught guitar tied around my neck, looking for every opportunity to jam with other musicians but mostly playing solo to the four walls of whatever space I was living in at the time.

Why did I do this?  Because I felt an urgent need to communicate through the medium of melody and lyric and I had the gift to do it for hours on end hardly noticing that time was passing by.  It is a taste of eternity and I enjoy the heck out of it.  So the question evolves, "Am I helping anyone else by surrendering to the deep need I have to make music and sing new songs?"

No comments:

Post a Comment